Cuthbert Buckle, citizen and vintner, London, was Alderman 1582-1594 and Mayor 1593.
He is shown as being of both Saint Mary Woolnoth and Saint Mary-at-Hill.
Saint Mary Woolnoth is an Anglican church in the City of London, located on the corner of Lombard Street and King William Street near the Bank of England. The church's site has been used for worship for at least 2,000 years; traces of Roman and pagan religious buildings have been discovered under the foundations of the present church, along with the remains of an Anglo-Saxon wooden structure. Its name is first recorded in 1191 as Wilnotmaricherche. It is believed that the name "Woolnoth" refers to a benefactor, possibly one Wulnoth de Walebrok who is known to have lived in the area earlier in the 12th century. Its full (and unusual) dedication is to Saint Mary Woolnoth of the Nativity.
The present building is at least the third church on the site. The Norman church survived until 1445, when it was rebuilt, with a spire added in 1485. It was badly damaged in 1666 in the Great Fire of London but was repaired by Sir Christopher Wren. Two new bells (the treble and the tenor) were cast in 1670, and in 1672 the middle bell was cast.
The patched-up structure proved unsafe, however, and had to be demolished in 1711. It was rebuilt by the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches, financed by the coal tax of 1711.
The new church was completed in 1716, commissioned from Nicholas Hawksmoor, who had responded with one of his most distinctive and original designs. He benefitted greatly from having an unusually open area in which to work. The old church had been hemmed in by shops and houses, like many other City churches, but these were demolished at the same time as the church. Hawksmoor was thus able to fully exploit the unobstructed front of the site.
The resultant church was something of an architectural statement on Hawksmoor's part. Its unusually imposing façade, in English Baroque style, is dominated by two flat-topped turrets supported by columns of the Corinthian order, which are used throughout the church. The west side of the façade, facing Lombard Street, has distinctive recesses bearing an inset forward-curving pediment resting on skewed columns.
Saint Mary-at-Hill in Lovat Lane, Central London, was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London in 1666. The east end and interior of the church, dating from 1670 - 76, were Wren's first church designs, and he chose a Greek cross plan where all four sides are equal for Saint Mary-at-Hill. This same design was used as a prototype for Wren's 1672 proposals for Saint Paul's Cathedral. However, the design was rejected by the Commissioners in favour of the traditional Latin cross. Although Saint Mary-at-Hill's 17th century fittings survived Victorian ''improvements' and the Blitz, they were destroyed by a fire in 1988. Restoration work returned the church to its original appearance but an IRA bomb in 1992 caused further damage.
The arms of Sir Cuthbert are blazoned as 'Sable, a chevron between three chaplets argent.'
From Collectanea Topographica Et Genealogica (First edition, 1836) by Sir Frederick Madden, Bulkeley Bandinel, and others, comes the following Heralds' Certificate of Funeral: Sr Cutbert Buckle, Knight, Lord Maior of the Cittie of London, and free of the worshipfull Company of Vinteners, deceassed the first of Julye 1594 and was honorablye buried as a Baron the xxixth of the same followinge, at St Marye Hill Churche in the warde of Billinge gate, p Richard Lee ats Clarienceaulx Kinge of Armes, Lancaster and Somersett heraulte being assistant. This Cutbert Buckle had towe wyves, viz. Joane his first wife, by whome hee had yssue one sonne tht died young. And by his secounde wife Dame Elizabeth Buckle, daughter of Thomas Maston of London, gent. hee had and left one sonne, his only heire, named Christopher. His sole executrixe was the aforesaid Dame Elizabeth his wife, and his overseers the right Worshipfull Sr Will'm Webbe, Knighte, Mr Benedick Barnehame, Alderman, Mr John Aldersonne, and Mr Will'm Cobbe, Cittizens of London. Whoe in testemonye of the premisses have herevnto sett their hande the vijth of August in the xxxvjth yeare of the raigne of our soureigne Ladye Elizabeth by the grace of God, Queene of England, Fraunce, & Ireland, Defendor of the Faithe, &c.
(signed) Wyllyam Webb. Benedict Barnham.
John Alderson. William Cobb.
He was buried at Saint Mary-at-Hill.