The Domesday Book of 1086 records the presence of a church, valued at £12, in what was then the small fishing village of Bristelmestune. Shortly afterwards, it was granted to the Cluniac priory in nearby Lewes. Although there is no certainty over where this church was located, it is possible that it stood on the site of the present-day Saint Nicholas church. Although Bristelmestune was located some distance to the south immediately adjacent to the coast, the ground there was marshy and suffered from erosion, and was vulnerable to attacks from invaders. The higher ground of the hill where the present church stands would have been better strategically and defensively, as well as being highly visible to residents of the village and the fishermen at sea. The mother-church of Brighton is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, patron saint of fishermen and sailors, children, pawnbrokers and Russia. A church dedicated to Saint Nicholas has been the center of Christian worship in Brighton for the past nine centuries.